- Chinese medicine bases its success on the analysis of behavior: « Chinese medicine seeks to understand the human being as a whole, as well as healthy patients, both in terms of visible and invisible symptoms, by management the balance of internal energy called Qi or Chi ».
- Freud revolutionized medicine in 1896 by including the analysis of human behavior: » The behavioral profiling is used by psychologists, psychiatrists, … to understand their patients and identify their problems in order to help manage their discomfort.
- The behavioral analysis of video streams to detect deviant behavior and reduce false alarms.
- Unable to reliably detect the presence of ice on the wings, aeronautics has developed a system that analyzes the behavior of the aircraft (compared actual performance versus theorical performance, such as the engine power required for steady flight) and, in case of deviance, warns the pilot of a possible icing.
- The anti-virus based on virus signatures are outdated. The editors are working on behavior analysis systems to detect unknown viruses. Without success. The behavioral analysis of IS is supported by most companies at the forefront: Q1Labs and Symantec for instance.
One of the ways that Network Behavior Analysis accomplishes this is to constantly monitor all communications that involve the network. Interaction between hosts and clients are scanned and routinely processed as being clear or as having some aspect that is out of the ordinary. The program will also make note of any unusual changes in the use of bandwidth or any attempts to modify system protocols that appear to be somewhat severe in nature or type.
The use of Network Behavior Analysis can help to keep the amount of time and resources required to maintain a high level of efficiency in the operation of a network. The constant monitoring of network traffic and highlighting any unusual trends can often make it possible for common applications such as antivirus programs, spyware protection, and firewalls to perform at a higher rate of efficiency. As a result, the network is more secure, is not slowed down by suspicious malware that uses up valuable resources, and can perform at peak levels.
- “Malicious attacks are not only growing but also becoming more targeted and mutant. Using a database of signatures becomes less and less effective. So use behavioral analysis”, Simon Clausen, PC Tools CEO (2009).
ITrust, with the support of two Information Technology world referents labs, is developing such a behavioral analysis tool.
The first results make us believe that we are at the birth of a new method that will revolutionize the IT security industry.